Having a safe, healthy, and happy pregnancy begins well before you become pregnant. Preconception services at BirthRight Fertility by Rainbow Hospitals help you discuss many aspects of optimizing your health and plan for a healthy pregnancy. While all women planning to get pregnant should attend the clinic, it is important for women with pre-existing diseases, like hypertension, epilepsy, diabetes etc, to avail these services. The preconception visit also helps you avoid an unplanned pregnancy by giving you contraception choices.
Doctors are sometimes consulted by women who state their intentions to "start a family" and ask for advice and a check-up. This provides a window of opportunity for health promotion, as it is thought that women are very motivated to alter unhealthy lifestyles at this time. The doctors and specialists at BirthRight Fertility by Rainbow Hospitals, recognise that families come in many shapes and sizes, and the route to becoming parents can be varied and sometimes challenging. Our sole aim is to help you understand more about starting a family and being successful at it.
- Our aim is to reduce any risk of health issues with the fetus, woman and neonate. We work with the woman for optimizing health, educating about healthy pregnancy and addressing risk factors.
- Chronic conditions like diabetes, thyroid, hypertension and psychiatric illness can be an issue with pregnancy outcomes, which is why they need to be managed optimally before pregnancy
- We also preview any medication you take, including herbal products or nutritional supplements that can affect pregnancy and reproduction
- Screening for genetic conditions is also available prior to getting pregnant
- Your immunization status will be assessed as well
- We will also assess if screening for sexually transmitted infection might be necessary
- If you have potential exposure to infectious diseases, you will be counselled regarding the waiting time before attempting conception
- You will be asked about your use of drugs, alcohol and nicotine products
- Screening for your partner will also be considered
- We will encourage preconception folic acid supplementation to reduce the risk of neural tube defects
- You will also be counselled about your diet and vitamin supplementation to make sure you have the recommended daily intake
- We also encourage our patients to attain a normal BMI (Body Mass Index) before you attempt to become pregnant, since abnormal BMI is associated with pregnancy complications and infertility.