Cucumber, a summer water-bearing vegetable, is also known as a “natural cooler” of the body and helps combat dehydration, constipation, and over-eating. It helps to detoxify and cleanse the body. It has one of the lowest calorie contents and helps fill you up and boosts your metabolism in the process. The humble cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties and helps fight inflammation and reduce headaches.
Its antioxidant properties protect against deposition of toxins in your body, keeps your skin hydrated which helps reduce wrinkles and acne, and combats bloating. That apart, it also contributes toward a healthy heart and bones. All these properties make this vegetable really versatile and an important part of your diet.
Cucumber is a good source of vitamin C, an immunity booster as well as magnesium and potassium which help regulate blood pressure and ensure nerve health. And there’s enough dietary fiber in it to keep constipation at bay.
So enjoy that cucumber. Here are a few recipes to get you started:
•Cucumber pickle: Unlike most vegetables, cucumbers actually taste better when eaten raw. To make old cucumber more interesting, try pickling it in some vinegar. You can combine two regular cucumbers and toss with three tablespoons of rice vinegar, two tablespoons of chopped herbs of your choice (like dill), and a pinch of sugar and salt. The longer you let them sit, the stronger taste they’ll develop.
Secret Cucumber Detox Soup Recipe
• 1 cucumber (peeled and de-seeded)
• 1 tablespoon onion (minced)
• 1 avocado, peeled
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 dash of cayenne pepper
• 1 cup water
• paprika for garnish
• Throw avocado, cucumber, onion, oil, lemon juice, vinegar and water in a high-powered blender.
• Puree on high speed until smooth. Blend in salt, chili powder, and remaining ingredients. Serve, garnishing with extra cucumber cubes and smoked paprika, if desired.
For a healthy, glowing and smooth skin
• Blend 4 – 5 leaves of fresh mint.
• Peel and de-seed the cucumber.
• Add mint leaves to the cucumber and 1 cup curd with 1 teaspoon honey to make a glow smoothie.